The Consultant in Your Corner: What is Required to Become a 203k Consultant and Why You Need One!

Fifteen years ago I built a house in Gilmanton, NH.  We were young and had a limited budget, so we decided to be the general contractors and often the construction workers as well.  We cleared the land, mapped out the foundation, hired all of the contractors, filled out all of the paperwork and the list goes on.  We used word of mouth and our own limited vetting skills to hire contractors, plumbers, electricians, and carpenters.  I am sad to report that more than one of the “professionals” that we hired did not complete their work, didn’t show up on the days they were scheduled and requested payments that far exceeded their initial bids.  Our lack of experience and knowledge cost us lots of time and money!  In hindsight, I would definitely hire a general contractor, I wish I had, had someone to guide me through the complex process.  

Continue reading “The Consultant in Your Corner: What is Required to Become a 203k Consultant and Why You Need One!”

Carbon Monoxide: Colorless, Odorless, Tasteless and Deadly. Why You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector in Your Home

Family-Safe-From-Carbon-Monoxide

Family-Safe-From-Carbon-Monoxide

Many people have never heard of or considered having a carbon monoxide detector installed in their home.  I was one of these people until I was in the process of becoming a foster/adoptive parent and having a carbon monoxide detector in each room in my house was required.   I didn’t understand why this was necessary at the time, but I knew that I wanted to make my house as safe as it could be for my future children. So, I hired a professional to install a detector in each bedroom and main living area in my home.  Although, I knew that I could install them myself, I wanted to make sure that it was done correctly.  You might ask why is this important or even what is carbon monoxide and how does it get into my home?

Continue reading “Carbon Monoxide: Colorless, Odorless, Tasteless and Deadly. Why You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector in Your Home”