There is nothing more fun or relaxing than jumping in your pool after a hard day of work or playing in the sun. Home pools are a great place for family fun, swimming, relaxing and gathering with friends. I can’t think of anything more soothing that floating on my back in my own backyard oasis. Or anything more timeless and endearing that watching my children scream with delight as they splash around in their own personal backyard ocean. But before the fun begins there are some important safety precautions that every pool owner needs to take to make sure that their family is safe when playing in their backyard oasis. Although water is relaxing, refreshing and a source of good times it can also be very dangerous if you don’t take the right steps to create a safe pool environment.Continue reading “Jump The Water Fine! Fun in The Sun But Safety First In the Pool”
You may wonder why you would need to have your water tested. Especially if it doesn’t taste or smell bad or have any noticeable discoloration or cloudiness. The fact is that many common contaminants that are found in drinking water do not cause a change that is detectable by smell, taste, or sight.Continue reading “Could Your Drinking Water be Making You Sick?”
Many people have never heard of or considered having a carbon monoxide detector installed in their home. I was one of these people until I was in the process of becoming a foster/adoptive parent and having a carbon monoxide detector in each room in my house was required. I didn’t understand why this was necessary at the time, but I knew that I wanted to make my house as safe as it could be for my future children. So, I hired a professional to install a detector in each bedroom and main living area in my home. Although, I knew that I could install them myself, I wanted to make sure that it was done correctly. You might ask why is this important or even what is carbon monoxide and how does it get into my home?Continue reading “Carbon Monoxide: Colorless, Odorless, Tasteless and Deadly. Why You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector in Your Home”
As a child growing up in New Hampshire one of my favorite parts of winter was the beautiful icicles that would form on the gutters of my house. I was convinced that Jack Frost had left them just for me. Not only did I love the way they sparkled in the sun, but I would wait with great anticipation for them to fall off the roof so that I could have an icy treat. Little did I know then that they could be a sign of trouble to come. Not only could the larger ones fall and hurt someone, but they could be a precursor to ice damming on the roof. As a child you don’t think of all the dangers and damage that could be caused by those lovely prisms of ice, but as an adult and a home owner they are something to be feared.
What is an Ice Dam?Continue reading “Icicles Can be a Sign of Danger! Ice Damming can Lead to Serious Damage!”
December 21, 2018
As we head into another bitterly cold New England winter, I’ll bet that one of your main concerns is keeping your home and family warm! As the snow piles up and the temperature drops, no doubt there are a lot of maintenance items on your mind, from tuning up your heating system to installing storm windows, in all this bustle don’t forget one of the most important parts of your heating system- your chimney. Although chimneys and their maintenance are often overlooked this is not wise, as chimney fires account for over 25,000 fires a year, yet are 100% preventable!Continue reading “Creosote and Carbon Monoxide the Silent Killers: Chimney Safety Tips that Could Save Your Life!”