Home Inspection: 603-303-8211 203K Counseling: 603-244-6258
During COVID-19 we are doing everything we can to keep you safe. We have implemented a no-contact inspection order which means we will do inspections as normal but instead of meeting at the property, our inspector(s) will be the only ones on site. Thank you for your patience and stay safe.
I have bought and sold several houses in my lifetime, in several states and I never once remember having a radon test when I moved in or moved out. You may be in the same situation. Maybe you have never even heard of this radon and are wondering what the big deal is. Why would you need to worry about this? Quite simply, radon exposure can kill you and you may never know you have been exposed until it is too late. Radon exposure causes the second most cases of lung cancer in this country, second only to cigarette smoking. The difference is you may never even know that you have been inhaling small levels of radon for years, unless you take precautions and have your house tested and cleared of this gas.
Growing up in the Lakes Region, in a small town whose population grew from 2,500 people in the winter to more than 40, 000 people in the summer, I had quite a few friends that were “summer people”. Most of these “summer people” had houses on or near the lake and I can distinctively remember the musty odor that would greet you at the door of their houses. Over the summer this odor would fade and be replaced by the smells of suntan lotion and barbecue chicken, but those first few weeks it was very distinct. At the time I had no idea what caused this odor that stung my nose when I visited my friends’ lake houses, but I now realize it was probably mold that had built up over their long absent winter.
Maybe you have just purchased that diamond in the rough, the house with the good bones and beautiful architecture, but the bathroom tile resembles Pepto bismal and your kitchen has army green linoleum that matches the ancient appliances. Or perhaps, you have lived in your home for years and now that abundance of oak in your kitchen has gotten old or the once glorious jet tub ceased to sooth your aching muscles long ago or you plan to sell your house soon, it is probably time to make some changes to your home. There are many things to consider when you approach either of these type of renovations. Perhaps, after careful consideration you may decide you want to renovate both of these spaces.
Fifteen years ago I built a house in Gilmanton, NH. We were young and had a limited budget, so we decided to be the general contractors and often the construction workers as well. We cleared the land, mapped out the foundation, hired all of the contractors, filled out all of the paperwork and the list goes on. We used word of mouth and our own limited vetting skills to hire contractors, plumbers, electricians, and carpenters. I am sad to report that more than one of the “professionals” that we hired did not complete their work, didn’t show up on the days they were scheduled and requested payments that far exceeded their initial bids. Our lack of experience and knowledge cost us lots of time and money! In hindsight, I would definitely hire a general contractor, I wish I had, had someone to guide me through the complex process.
One of the best parts about New England are all the quaint and historic properties that pepper its small towns and cities alike. As you drive along any New England highway or dirt covered back road you are bound to see several beautiful cape cod style houses, old Victorians, or classic salt boxes. Who hasn’t wondered what it might be like to live in one of these gems?
Many people have never heard of or considered having a carbon monoxide detector installed in their home. I was one of these people until I was in the process of becoming a foster/adoptive parent and having a carbon monoxide detector in each room in my house was required. I didn’t understand why this was necessary at the time, but I knew that I wanted to make my house as safe as it could be for my future children. So, I hired a professional to install a detector in each bedroom and main living area in my home. Although, I knew that I could install them myself, I wanted to make sure that it was done correctly. You might ask why is this important or even what is carbon monoxide and how does it get into my home?
As a child growing up in New Hampshire one of my favorite parts of winter was the beautiful icicles that would form on the gutters of my house. I was convinced that Jack Frost had left them just for me. Not only did I love the way they sparkled in the sun, but I would wait with great anticipation for them to fall off the roof so that I could have an icy treat. Little did I know then that they could be a sign of trouble to come. Not only could the larger ones fall and hurt someone, but they could be a precursor to ice damming on the roof. As a child you don’t think of all the dangers and damage that could be caused by those lovely prisms of ice, but as an adult and a home owner they are something to be feared.
As we head into another bitterly cold New England winter, I’ll bet that one of your main concerns is keeping your home and family warm! As the snow piles up and the temperature drops, no doubt there are a lot of maintenance items on your mind, from tuning up your heating system to installing storm windows, in all this bustle don’t forget one of the most important parts of your heating system- your chimney. Although chimneys and their maintenance are often overlooked this is not wise, as chimney fires account for over 25,000 fires a year, yet are 100% preventable!
The decrease in indoor air quality during the winter months can wreak havoc on your health. Here are 10 tips to improve your indoor air quality this winter. #10 may surprise you!
While Mother Nature may have us thinking otherwise in New Hampshire, the cold days of winter are just around the corner. And with the arrival of winter comes a decrease in indoor air quality as we close up our homes to protect ourselves from the bitter cold. This decrease in indoor air quality can wreak havoc on your health, especially if you already suffer from allergies or respiratory disease. Here are 10 ways to improve the indoor air quality of your home–and your health–this winter:
Learn why your chimney, stove, or other solid fuel-burning appliance should be regularly cleaned, maintained, and inspected to keep your home and family safe.
Fall is just around the corner and as the temperatures continue to drop, many of us are looking forward to spending warm and cozy evenings by the hearth. Whether you’re using coal, wood, or wood pellets to heat your home, it’s important that your chimney, stove, or other solid fuel-burning appliance is regularly cleaned, maintained, and inspected. If not, you could putting your home and family at risk.