Growing up in the Lakes Region, in a small town whose population grew from 2,500 people in the winter to more than 40, 000 people in the summer, I had quite a few friends that were “summer people”. Most of these “summer people” had houses on or near the lake and I can distinctively remember the musty odor that would greet you at the door of their houses. Over the summer this odor would fade and be replaced by the smells of suntan lotion and barbecue chicken, but those first few weeks it was very distinct. At the time I had no idea what caused this odor that stung my nose when I visited my friends’ lake houses, but I now realize it was probably mold that had built up over their long absent winter.Continue reading “Stop the Mold Monster In Its Tracks: How to Keep Your Vacation Home Mold Free During the Off Season”
Maybe you have just purchased that diamond in the rough, the house with the good bones and beautiful architecture, but the bathroom tile resembles Pepto bismal and your kitchen has army green linoleum that matches the ancient appliances. Or perhaps, you have lived in your home for years and now that abundance of oak in your kitchen has gotten old or the once glorious jet tub ceased to sooth your aching muscles long ago or you plan to sell your house soon, it is probably time to make some changes to your home. There are many things to consider when you approach either of these type of renovations. Perhaps, after careful consideration you may decide you want to renovate both of these spaces.Continue reading “Getting the Most Bang for Your Buck- Renovate Your Kitchen and Bathroom!”
Fifteen years ago I built a house in Gilmanton, NH. We were young and had a limited budget, so we decided to be the general contractors and often the construction workers as well. We cleared the land, mapped out the foundation, hired all of the contractors, filled out all of the paperwork and the list goes on. We used word of mouth and our own limited vetting skills to hire contractors, plumbers, electricians, and carpenters. I am sad to report that more than one of the “professionals” that we hired did not complete their work, didn’t show up on the days they were scheduled and requested payments that far exceeded their initial bids. Our lack of experience and knowledge cost us lots of time and money! In hindsight, I would definitely hire a general contractor, I wish I had, had someone to guide me through the complex process.Continue reading “The Consultant in Your Corner: What is Required to Become a 203k Consultant and Why You Need One!”
One of the best parts about New England are all the quaint and historic properties that pepper its small towns and cities alike. As you drive along any New England highway or dirt covered back road you are bound to see several beautiful cape cod style houses, old Victorians, or classic salt boxes. Who hasn’t wondered what it might be like to live in one of these gems?Continue reading “How Can You Buy That Diamond in the Rough Property and Make it Your Palace?”
Many people have never heard of or considered having a carbon monoxide detector installed in their home. I was one of these people until I was in the process of becoming a foster/adoptive parent and having a carbon monoxide detector in each room in my house was required. I didn’t understand why this was necessary at the time, but I knew that I wanted to make my house as safe as it could be for my future children. So, I hired a professional to install a detector in each bedroom and main living area in my home. Although, I knew that I could install them myself, I wanted to make sure that it was done correctly. You might ask why is this important or even what is carbon monoxide and how does it get into my home?Continue reading “Carbon Monoxide: Colorless, Odorless, Tasteless and Deadly. Why You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector in Your Home”
As a child growing up in New Hampshire one of my favorite parts of winter was the beautiful icicles that would form on the gutters of my house. I was convinced that Jack Frost had left them just for me. Not only did I love the way they sparkled in the sun, but I would wait with great anticipation for them to fall off the roof so that I could have an icy treat. Little did I know then that they could be a sign of trouble to come. Not only could the larger ones fall and hurt someone, but they could be a precursor to ice damming on the roof. As a child you don’t think of all the dangers and damage that could be caused by those lovely prisms of ice, but as an adult and a home owner they are something to be feared.
What is an Ice Dam?Continue reading “Icicles Can be a Sign of Danger! Ice Damming can Lead to Serious Damage!”
December 21, 2018
As we head into another bitterly cold New England winter, I’ll bet that one of your main concerns is keeping your home and family warm! As the snow piles up and the temperature drops, no doubt there are a lot of maintenance items on your mind, from tuning up your heating system to installing storm windows, in all this bustle don’t forget one of the most important parts of your heating system- your chimney. Although chimneys and their maintenance are often overlooked this is not wise, as chimney fires account for over 25,000 fires a year, yet are 100% preventable!Continue reading “Creosote and Carbon Monoxide the Silent Killers: Chimney Safety Tips that Could Save Your Life!”
The decrease in indoor air quality during the winter months can wreak havoc on your health. Here are 10 tips to improve your indoor air quality this winter. #10 may surprise you!
While Mother Nature may have us thinking otherwise in New Hampshire, the cold days of winter are just around the corner. And with the arrival of winter comes a decrease in indoor air quality as we close up our homes to protect ourselves from the bitter cold. This decrease in indoor air quality can wreak havoc on your health, especially if you already suffer from allergies or respiratory disease. Here are 10 ways to improve the indoor air quality of your home–and your health–this winter:
Learn why your chimney, stove, or other solid fuel-burning appliance should be regularly cleaned, maintained, and inspected to keep your home and family safe.
Fall is just around the corner and as the temperatures continue to drop, many of us are looking forward to spending warm and cozy evenings by the hearth. Whether you’re using coal, wood, or wood pellets to heat your home, it’s important that your chimney, stove, or other solid fuel-burning appliance is regularly cleaned, maintained, and inspected. If not, you could putting your home and family at risk.Continue reading “Is Your Heating System Safe?”
With today’s dwindling housing supply, many homebuyers are considering “fixer-uppers.” However, after closing on a traditional loan, many people–especially first-time homebuyers–lack the funds needed to make to make the required renovations. But thanks to the HUD 203(k) and Fannie Mae Homestyle rehab loans, the dream of owning a home is becoming a reality for more people. But which is the best option for you? In this month’s blog, the experts at Advanced Home Inspection compare the HUD 203(k) and Fannie Mae HomeStyle rehab loan.
Both HUD 203(k) and Fannie Mae HomeStyle rehab loans are available for purchase and refinance transactions. And while both are essentially “one time close construction loans,” each allows for different repairs and carries different requirements.
This guide will help you find the best rehab loan for your needs.
Continue reading “Rehab Loan Options: HUD 203(k) vs. Fannie Mae Homestyle Loan”